Food Perspective . . . Savory Chicken Lemon Soup
Now that it is finally beginning to feel like winter, it’s time to break out your favorite soup recipes.
This chicken lemon soup recipe is one that has been in my family for generations.
It’s a soup that reminds me of my grandmother and my mother, making it a true comfort food.
I crave this soup whenever I’m sick or whenever it’s cold outside.
What’s even better is that it’s fairly low-fat and healthy.
You can easily vary the recipe to your liking, adding in more or less celery and chicken.
I hope this recipe brings you some joy this winter season.
Savory Chicken Lemon Soup
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups celery, diced
- ¾ cup leek, diced
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 sprigs parsley
- ½ bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- ½ cup flour
- Thin lemon slices and minced parsley for garnish
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a large soup pot. Add celery, leek and onion. Cook, stirring until soft but not browned.
- Add chicken broth, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and chicken tenders. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Discard the bay leaf and parsley springs. Keep the soup stock simmering.
- Melt the four remaining tablespoons of butter in a separate small pan. Blend in the flour.
- Gradually stir in about four cups of soup stock and cook the butter and flour mixture, stirring until thickened. Stir the thickened mixture into the large soup pot.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks slightly with the lemon juice. Add a small amount of the hot soup mixture, making sure the egg yolk doesn’t become a scrambled egg. Once combined, add the mixture to the large soup pot.
- Remove the large soup pot from heat. Stir the chicken back into the soup.
- Serve the soup with lemon slices and minced parsley as the garnish.