Hot Buttered Baking: Cinnamon Chip Cookies
I’ve wanted to make cinnamon chip cookies for some time now, but have been unable to find cinnamon chips at my local grocery stores.
But this week I got lucky.
I found a package of Hershey’s cinnamon chips next to the chocolate chips, much to my surprise and glee.
When I go grocery shopping, I always save the baking aisle, known as “my favorite aisle” in my family, for last.
Even if I don’t need anything I always like to check and see if there are new things to try.
Glad I checked this week or I would have missed out on the cinnamon chips!
If you are a fan of cinnamon rolls, you will love the taste of these cookies.
They are soft, chewy and have an optional icing recipe that makes them taste even more like cinnamon rolls.
My husband took one bite of these cookies and said, “They taste like Christmas.”
Guess he associates the delicious taste of cinnamon with the holidays.
But being four months ahead of the winter holiday season didn’t stop him from eating a handful of them.
Give these cookies a try and see if you can make your summer feel like the holidays!
Cinnamon Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package cinnamon baking chips (10 ounces)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 ¼ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the cinnamon chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the cookies to wire racks to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the icing ingredients.
- Beat on high speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cookies.