We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but how many of us actually sit down and have a true breakfast?
In a society that places value on immediacy, we’ve lost the ability to properly nourish ourselves.
In many cases that includes not incorporating healthy, nutritious foods into our diets.
I recently began eating breakfast again, trying to eat a balanced meal of protein, vegetables and starches.
In addition to oatmeal, I have a slice of my healthy breakfast veggie loaf.
It’s chockfull of healthy egg whites and veggies, and can easily be made ahead of time for the morning rush.
This recipe can easily be altered to add or subtract egg whites, depending on your needs.
Get creative with the spices, add what you like and maybe even add hot sauce to the top!
Shopping Suggestion: The best place to buy the ingredients for this recipe is at your local farmers’ market in Marin, as they will have the freshest eggs and produce available.
Try the farmers’ market at the Marin Civic Center on Sundays for a fun outing.
Servings: four or more.
Healthy Breakfast Veggie Loaf
- 16 egg whites (3 tablespoons per egg if using carton of egg whites)
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- One handful of fresh spinach
- ½ cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, parsley, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the broccoli and spinach.
- Using a blender, such as the NutriBullet, blend all the ingredients until smooth. It may take two or three batches in the blender to do this.
- Pour the entire mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Then, reheat in a microwave or oven.