Hot Buttered Baking . . . Oatmeal S’more Cookies
August is typically the hottest month of the year and the last hurrah for celebrating summer.
While many of us didn’t get the chance to go camping this year, there’s still a way for us to enjoy the staple campout dessert of s’mores.
You can always make them in the oven, on a barbecue, in the toaster oven or in a microwave, but one of my favorite ways is to incorporate the staple ingredients into a cookie.
This recipe uses chocolate chips, miniature marshmallows and old fashioned oats to mimic the taste of a s’more.
And yes, they are best served warm.
Oatmeal S’more Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture. Mix until combined.
- Stir in the oats, chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 11 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets for 1 to 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.