As a true sugar-craver, sometimes I wake up in the morning with the hankering for breakfast sweets.
I love a good muffin or scone, but sometimes I want something a little more deluxe.
I adore the taste of cinnamon rolls, but oftentimes they seem too time-consuming to make.
My tasty streusel coffee cake recipe is the perfect solution to this dilemma because it has the texture of a buttery muffin with the taste of a cinnamon roll.
Plus it’s ridiculously easy to make.
Make it your own recipe by adding berries to the cake, using different types of nuts or using grated lemon peel in the streusel topping instead of cinnamon.
Tasty Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Streusel Topping Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
Coffee Cake Directions:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the butter mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Spread the batter into a greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a new bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Using your hands, blend the ingredients together until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel over the prepared cake batter along with the pecans.
- Bake the cake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. This cake is best served while still warm.