Pineapple Ice Cream
Pineapples are America’s second favorite tropical fruit.
This native South American tropical fruit is known for its juicy sweet and tart taste.
July is National Ice Cream Month and Taste Marin loves ice cream.
The following recipe will instruct you on how to make our favorite pineapple ice cream.
- Ice Cream Maker
- Food Processor
- 2 Saucepans
- Measuring Cup
- 2 Cups
- 1 Medium Bowl
- 1 Spatula
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- Add pineapple to food processor and pulse several times; remove and set aside in cup.
- In a saucepan – mix in water, sugar and pineapple. Simmer the mixture over low-heat for about 4 minutes; to instill flavors. Remove from heat and cool completely. Mixture should not be dry.
- Pour vanilla extract and eggs into a medium bowl; whisk together.
- Pour cream into an empty saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Turn down to low heat.
- Remove 1 cup of hot cream from saucepan. Then whisk hot cream into the egg/vanilla mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- In a steady stream, slowly whisk the egg/hot cream mixture into the hot cream in the saucepan.
- Cook for 3 minutes over low heat; stir occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in pineapple. Cool in refrigerator completely.
- Add the fruit/cream mixture to the ice cream machine. Process according to the ice cream machine’s directions.
Garnish with toasted coconut flakes. Makes six ½ cup servings.