CORNBREAD STUFFING INGREDIENTS:
• 2 pans pre-baked cornbread (24 ounces)
• 1½ cups butter, melted
• ½ cup celery, finely chopped
• ½ cup onion, finely chopped
• ½ cup pineapples, crushed
• ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
• ½ cup bell pepper, finely chopped
• ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 1 tablespoon dried sage
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon white pepper
- In a large bowl – combine butter, celery, onion, pineapples, shiitake mushrooms, bell pepper, parsley, beaten eggs, chicken stock, sage, salt, and white pepper.
- Crumble corn bread into large bowl containing other ingredients – mix well, but lightly.
- Place stuffing into cavity of turkey.
- Use kitchen string to tie legs together (close to body); close neck cavity and truss wings to body (string around turkey body).
- Place a chopped large onion, a couple of chopped celery stalks and a couple of chopped carrots into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Place turkey (breast down) into the roasting pan with a V-shaped roasting rack and cover.
Place turkey-tail-end first into the lower-third of oven (preheated 350 degrees F).
- Roast for 1½ hours – then pour other half of seasoning mixture over turkey. Cover and continue roasting for approximately 1½ – 2 hours – basting every 30 minutes. Forty-five minutes to an hour before turkey is done, remove the cover and turn the turkey breast side up so it can brown.
The turkey is done when the temperature reaches 175 degrees F in the thigh and the breast meat – the legs should move easily in the sockets and the juices should be clear, not reddish-pink.
Allow to sit 30 minutes before carving.